The Latest News
Spring Maintenance Tips for Commercial Lawn Mowers
Lawn mowers require constant maintenance – and if your livelihood depends on this equipment, as it does for landscapers and property managers, you can’t afford to have downtime. With a mower that is being used for eight hours a day, every day, you need to make sure that it gets necessary attention and care.
Spring may be the most important time of the year for maintaining your commercial lawn mower. The mowers are coming out of a period of inactivity, and have some heavy work in their immediate future. Here are our top tips for lawn mower maintenance to make sure you get your commercial lawn mower off to the right start:
- Change the Oil and Filter – Your mower needs constant lubrication to keep everything moving smoothly. Drain your old oil and replace the oil filter, then fill your mower back up with clean, heavy-duty oil.
- Top-to-Bottom Cleaning – You’ll need to clean off your mower regularly during the season, but it is always best to start from a clean base. Even if you cleaned it before it was put into storage for winter, you should still make sure to check any spots you may have missed. In addition, if the commercial mower was stored alongside bags of salt or snow melt in the warehouse or garage, make sure any residue is removed, as these are corrosive substances and can cause major damage.
- Keep It Slick – Wax or grease the deck to help prevent buildup of grass and other materials, and make future cleaning easier.
- Take Care of the Blade – You mower blades need to be in good shape for fast, even cutting. Inspect your blades and sharpen them if they are dull, or replace them if they are warped or nicked from hitting rocks and debris.
- Change Your Spark Plugs – Without the spark, that mower won’t move. An old, worn spark plug can have a reduced spark, leading to a sputtering or stuttering start. A brand new spark plug ensures you won’t go to work one morning only to discover a dead mower, and a delayed start to the work day.
- Let It Breathe – It takes three things to make an engine work – fuel, a spark, and clean air. Make sure your mower gets all three by cleaning or changing out your air filter. Paper filters can be cleaned, while foam filters will need to be replaced.
- Check All Bolts – Commercial mowers hit rough terrain regularly, and all of that movement can shake bolts loose. Go over every bolt and screw, and make sure it is tightened securely.
- Service Your Hydraulics – Hydraulics are sensitive, and if the fluid becomes fouled, the hydraulics can lock up. Replace the filter, and replenish and inspect the fluid.
By taking care of these maintenance points in the spring before the grass has even had a chance to grow, you can set up your commercial lawn mower for success when you need it the most. You rely on your mower to keep your property in order, or to be the backbone of your business – don’t let it hold you back with malfunctions. At Von Ruden, we know that when the machines you depend on go down, it can grind your business to a halt – so make sure it doesn’t happen to you!
Posted in Uncategorized
Tags: Cleaning a Lawn Mower, Commercial Lawn Mower Maintenance, Commercial Lawn Mower Maintenance Tips, Lawn Mower Cleaning Tips, Lawn Mower Oil Change, Maintaining a Commercial Lawn Mower, Proper Lawn Mower Maintenance